Saturday 7 July 2012

If happy ever afters did exist


“My bounty is as boundless as the sea, My love as deep; the more I give to thee, The more I have, for both are infinite. (Romeo and Juliet, 2.2.139-41).” We all know how the tragic love story of Romeo and Juliet has touched our hearts. It was among Shakespeare's most popular plays during his lifetime. Today, the title characters are regarded as archetypal young lovers. It was about two young star-crossed lovers whose deaths ultimately unite their feuding families.

For me, it was an outstanding masterpiece of Shakespeare. But I think it requires something. Me, I always love fairytales, happy endings or happily ever after. So, I was sad that Romeo and Juliet just did die in the end.  And if I was the author, my chosen finale for the story will go like this:

Paris came to the tomb of Juliet with his Page. Then suddenly, Romeo, together with Balthasar arrived. Paris and Romeo were arguing when Juliet abruptly just woke up. Paris and Romeo were shocked that they thought Juliet was dead already. And suddenly, Friar Lawrence came alone. He explained to Romeo that he gave the vial to Juliet because Juliet will be getting married to Paris. And Paris knew how Juliet love Romeo so much. So, Paris refused to marry Juliet from then. Montague, Capulet with their wives and the Prince arrived. They were all shocked at what happened. On the other hand, Capulet was very annoyed when he saw Romeo. But then, Juliet explained it to his father that he wanted Romeo to be with her for the rest of her life. And because Paris already turn down the arrangement, Capulet agreed to what her daughter wants. So, Romeo and Juliet got married and the peace in Verona was back again. 

Isn't it wonderful to read novels or stories with happy endings. It's a greater relief on the part of readers or viewers to see a happy love story. Specially when it comes to love, people are very fond of happily ever afters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment